- About Us
- Community Campaign
- Community Assessment
- Community Grants
- Community Impact
The Stephen E. Garner Day of Caring
Thank you! Together we distributed over 2 tons of essential supplies to over 20 sites throughout Tompkins County!
The Day of Caring is a UWTC community-wide event each September. Community members contribute food, personal care items, pet supplies and school supplies which are then sorted and distributed by volunteers at the Day of Caring event. These items help fill the shelves at local pantries, community organizations, and schools. Together we are addressing the most pressing needs related to hunger and food security in Tompkins County.
2013 Day of Caring At-A-Glance
Friday, September 20th at Stewart Park
- Over 7 tons (14,250 lbs.) of food, personal care items, school supplies & pet food were collected.
- Over 35 local companies participated.
- 18 pantries & community organizations received items.
- School supplies were distributed in Groton, Dryden, Newfield, Trumansburg, Lansing, and Ithaca.
- Check out our photo album!
Stephen E. Garner Day of Caring:
- Demonstrates that volunteer efforts are vital to the well-being of our community by directly bridging local volunteers with the community.
- Serves as the official kick-off for United Way of Tompkins County's 2013-14 Community Campaign.
- Provides local food pantries, agencies, and schools with needed supplies.
How can I participate?
You can volunteer your time at the Day of Caring event and/or contribute the Most Requested Items. Stay tuned for information on our next Day of Caring in September 2014.
About Stephen E. Garner
Stephen E. Garner was a United Way volunteer of great character and energy who made a difference in so many ways. Mr. Garner’s example of warmth, caring, generosity, compassion, insight, and humor will live in our hearts. To commemorate Stephen E. Garner’s many contributions to the community, United Way, and Tompkins County, the UWTC Board of Directors named the Annual Day of Caring in his memory.
Contact Carmela LoRusso at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (607) 272-6286.
Photos: Nancy Doolittle